Van Persie reveals Van Gaal gave him a slap at 2014 World Cup
Former player Robin van Persie recalled that Holland coach Louis van Gaal smacked him after the game against Costa Rica went into extra-time.
Robin van Persie has recalled an incident involving Louis van Gaal in which the ex-Holland coach gave him a slap for refusing to be subbed during he team's game against Costa Rica in the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals. The game ended 0-0 on full-time and Van Persie was struck down with cramp after the first 10 minutes of extra-time - something which Van Gaal foresaw happening. The coach had told the player earlier that he had to come off but Van Persie refused, aware that the game might be decided from the penalty spot.
"When extra-time was up we all got together on the touch-line, and all of a sudden he slapped me. Bang! He said to me angrily: "Don't you ever do that again!"" Van Persie remembered in declarations to Voetbal International, taken from "LvG, the coach and the person". Moments later, Van Gaal was encouraging the striker to score his spot-kick. "Now forget about it and make sure you score your penalty", the coach added. Van Persie didn't let Van Gaal or the team down, and fired his effort past Keylor Navas to put the Netherlands ahead in the shoot-out which they went on to win 4-3.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star Game live online: Team LeBron vs Team Durant
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star 2021: three point contest, slam dunk, Sabonis wins the Skills Challenge | live online
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 2021 NBA All Star: Eastern or Western team, who has won more times?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All-Star 2021: who has won the most All-Star Game MVP awards?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All-Star: who has won the most Slam Dunk Contests?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Unemployment benefits 2020: how much is the tax-free waiver?