Coronavirus: Serie A could return on "13 or 20 June" - sports minister
Vincenzo Spadafora, Italy's minister for sport, has spoken about the coronavirus-hit Serie A campaign, which could restart next month.
Vincenzo Spadafora, Italy's minister for sport, says the Serie A season could resume on "13 or 20 June" following the coronavirus outbreak.
Covid-19 has wreaked havoc globally, with the Serie A campaign suspended in March due to the pandemic.
Decision on Serie A resumption due on Thursday
A decision on the season is expected on Thursday as Serie A looks to follow in the footsteps of Germany's Bundesliga, which resumed on 15 May.
"We are working on two possible dates to begin Serie A games, on 13 or 20 June," Spadafora told Rai TG3.
"The protocol arrived for resuming the season and it is very similar to the one that was agreed for training. On Thursday, we'll decide if and when to resume."
Juventus lead Serie A by a point, Lazio second
Defending champions Juventus were a point clear of Lazio after 26 games when the league was halted.
"This emergency has shown some critical issues in the world of football that we will face in a general reform that will happen before the end of the summer," Spadafora said.
"Among those issues we include allowing women's football players to become professional athletes."
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?