LaLiga would have ended if Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president
LaLiga would not be restarting if Real Madrid were top when it was suspended, according to a former Barcelona president.
Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.
The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.
But Gaspart, who was Barça president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
"If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barça, via AS, on Wednesday.
While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.
Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.
"I would love to see Neymar at Barcelona, I understand that he can still contribute," he said. "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barça."
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?