Maradona signs one-year extension at Gimnasia y Esgrima
Diego Maradona has committed to Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata and will continue as coach at the Argentinean club for another season.
Diego Maradona has put paid to speculation surrounding his future by signing a new one-year contract extension at Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata. The Argentina legend was appointed as Gimnasia's coach in September, although he briefly departed in November and returned two days later.
Another season in La Plata for Maradona
Maradona would have been out of contract at the end of the season and the prospect of his return to the Primera Division club appeared remote, as the two parties reportedly failed to come to an agreement on a deal at the start of the week. However, Gimnasia, celebrating their 133rd birthday on Wednesday, confirmed news of his renewal until 2021.
The club posted on Twitter: "You are known as Pelusa, Barrilete Cosmico, God, Diego, Diegote, capitan... But for us, you are one more Tripero and your heart is already as blue and white as ours."
Maradona had earlier hinted at an agreement as he congratulated Gimnasia on their anniversary on his Instagram page. "Today is El Lobo's birthday," he wrote. "Congratulations to @Gimnasia_Oficial and a hug to your WONDERFUL fans!!! My heart is blue and white. Let's go for more!!!"
Te conocen como Pelusa, Barrilete cósmico, Dios, Diego, Diegote, capitán...— GIMNASIA (desde ) (@gimnasiaoficial) June 3, 2020
Pero para nosotros, sos un Tripero más y tu corazón ya es tan azul y blanco como el nuestro.
GIMNASIAMARADONA #Gimnasia133 pic.twitter.com/pGnlosKky4
The Primera Division season was ended prematurely in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with relegation suspended for two years. Gimnasia were 19th in the 24-team division when the campaign was brought to a close.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGA MX Club América retain second place after victory against Tigres UANL
- Real Madrid 2-1 Barcelona Real Madrid: Benzema matches Cristiano Ronaldo scoring run
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA El Clásico: "Mendy fouled Braithwaite, it's a penalty" - Iturralde
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA Piqué confronts Gil Manzano, Modric ticks him off: "You've been waiting just to have a go at the ref"
- BARCELONA Barcelona still optimistic about title hopes despite Real Madrid defeat, says Koeman
- COVID-19 VACCINATION Publix Vaccine: how to sign up and get an appointment