PSG: Thiago Silva, Cavani to leave Ligue 1 champions
Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo has told a French newspaper Thiago Silva and Edinson Cavani are to leave the club with the season concluded
PSG have decided to offload captain Thiago Silva and record goalscorer Edinson Cavani this summer, sporting director Leonardo has revealed.
Leonardo said, according to Le Journal du Dimanche, that he believed the time had come to part company with the pair who have been instrumental in PSG's recent successes.
Leonardo: "It was a very difficult decision to make"
The Sunday newspaper report quoted Leonardo as saying their stays at the club were "coming to an end", with both players entitled to free transfers with their contracts set to expire.
"It was a very difficult decision to make," Leonardo said. "These are players who have made an impact on the history of the club: we always wonder whether we should continue a long way together or whether it is not better to avoid one year too many.
"The stories were especially beautiful. But, yes, we are coming to the end. We had to make a logical decision, even economically or with regard to the generation that is coming up.
"Maybe we're wrong, I don't know; there's never a perfect time. Now the Champions League is still in our targets and the idea is to keep going in the competition with them until the end of August. But the way in which we can do this isn't clear."
Brazilian defender Silva turns 36 in September, while Uruguayan striker Cavani will be 34 next February.
Te recomendamos en English
- European Super League Juventus still keen on breakaway league as AC Milan withdraw
- BARCELONA Aguero places Messi clause on Barcelona move
- European Super League Atletico squad release European Super League statement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The dramatic rise and swift fall of Europe's Super League
- Murder of George Floyd What did Biden say about Chauvin's guilty verdict for murder of George Floyd
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check: will it be approved and sent in May?