Cavani and Thiago Silva will leave PSG this summer
Paris Saint-Germain's record goal scorer Edinson Cavani and captain Thiago Silva will leave the club after the conclusion of the Champions League campaign.
Paris Saint-Germain's record goal scorer Edinson Cavani and captain Thiago Silva will leave the club after the conclusion of the Champions League campaign, the Ligue 1 side's sporting director Leonardo has confirmed. Both players' contracts are due to expire in June and Leonardo told Le Journal du Dimanche that they would not be handed extensions.
Cavani, who joined PSG from Napoli in 2013, is the club's all-time top scorer with 200 goals in all competitions and has made over 300 appearances. "It was a difficult decision to make, they are players who made their mark on the club's history," Leonardo said. "We had to make a decision based on logic."
Both players will be involved in the Champions League campaign, which is expected to be concluded in August. PSG qualified for the quarter-finals after eliminating Borussia Dortmund in the last 16.
Neymar back in Paris and set to return to training
After more than three months off during the Covid-19 crisis, the team will resume training on June 22, with Neymar expected to be back with the squad after returning from Brazil on Saturday. Leonardo said he expected the Brazil forward to be at the club next season.
"Nothing tells us otherwise," Leonardo replied when asked if Neymar and France striker Kylian Mbappé would still be there next season. "They still have two years on their contracts and we're more thinking about the future with them. We want to go forward."
PSG were crowned champions on 30 April when the league brought the season to an end as part of the country's efforts to contain the novel coronavirus.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem