Gio Reyna, Dest and Davies amongst the 2020 Golden Boy Award shortlist
The Italian outlet Tuttosport came up with the award in 2003, to decide the best young player of Europe and the American duo made the top 100 player shortlist.
The top 100 young players list under the age of 21 have been revealed for the 2020 Golden Boy award and two American footballers and one from Canada made the list. This award was created in 2003 by Tuttosport to decide the best young player in Europe playing in one of the top 5 leagues. Yesterday this year’s list was revealed and three players from North America appeared on it.
The 19-year-old Canadian defender started playing with Vancouver Whitecaps in Major League Soccer before signing for Bayern Munich. Davies has been playing for a year in the Bundesliga and has become a starter for the German giants this season. This campaign he has played a total of 28 games, 23 as a starter and has scored three goals in the domestic league.
The 17-year-old started playing for New York City’s academy but never played a single game in the MLS with the first team because in 2019 he joined Borussia Dortmund. On 18 January, 2020 he made his Bundesliga debut coming in as a substitute in the 72nd minute against FC Augsburg. Reyna became the youngest American, 17 years and 66 days, ever to appear in the Bundesliga breaking the record that held Christian Pulisic.
The American footballer of only 19 years of age started his career with Ajax’s youth academy and finally this year he made it to the first team. He has played a total of 20 games, 15 as a starter in the Eredivisie before it was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. This year he has shown his true potential and big clubs in Europe, like Bayern Munich, are already asking for Dest.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City: Agüero to miss return leg against Real Madrid
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Mnuchin claims Trump backs 'another round' before 20 July
- PREMIER LEAGUE VAR officials "are frightened to death to overrule referees" says Gary Neville