Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus forward suffers career first with back-to-back final losses
Cristiano Ronaldo and his Juventus team-mates went down to Napoli in a penalty shoot-out on Wednesday in the Coppa Italia final, handing the forward a career first.
Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo lost consecutive club finals for the first time in his illustrious career after the Old Lady were beaten by Napoli in the Coppa Italia final. Napoli clinched their first piece of silverware since 2014 thanks to Wednesday's triumph in Rome, where Gennaro Gattuso's men prevailed 4-2 on penalties following a goalless draw.
A five-time Ballon d'Or winner, Ronaldo has claimed 27 club titles throughout his career with Sporting CP, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juve – including five Champions League crowns.
Ronaldo loses consecutive finals for first time
2 - Cristiano Ronaldo has lost two consecutive Finals with club sides for the first time in his career, after the defeat against Lazio in the Italian Super Cup back in December 2019. Unusual.#CoppaItaliaCocaCola— OptaPaolo (@OptaPaolo) June 17, 2020
However, the 35-year-old – also a Euro 2016 and Nations League winner with Portugal – experienced back-to-back final defeats in a career first, after Juve also lost the Supercoppa Italiana against Lazio in December.
Ronaldo has scored 25 goals across all competitions for Serie A champions Juve this season.
Serie A leaders Juve will restart their 2019-20 league season away to Bologna on Monday following the coronavirus pandemic.
Maurizio Sarri's Juve are a point clear of Italian rivals Lazio through 26 matches.
Recommended in English
- Champions League 2021/2022 Champions League Round of 16: all qualified teams
- Champions League When is the 2021/2022 Champions League Round of 16 draw taking place?
- NBA | WARRIORS Steph Curry eyeing Ray Allen's three-point record against Portland
- NBA | LAKERS LeBron James defends Lakers coach Frank Vogel
- SOCCER Barcelona €15 million away from Man City forward Ferran Torres
- NFL Will Ryan Fitzpatrick play again for the Washington Football Team?