Barcelona's Piqué not confident about beating Madrid to title
Following the stalemate in Sevilla, the Barça defender's post-match interview will not have given blaugrana fans much of a boost in the LaLiga run-in.
Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué said his side have it all to do if they are to retain their Spanish title this season after being held to a 0-0 draw at Sevilla on Friday, handing Real Madrid the chance to top the standings this weekend.
Piqué not positive about LaLiga chances
'Seeing how the matches have gone so far, it's going to be very difficult for us to win this league,' Pique said after the stalemate, which interrupted a run of two wins from two since the season resumed after being halted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
'The draw leaves us in a position where we no longer depend on ourselves and looking at the fixtures it's difficult to imagine Real Madrid are going to drop points but we'll still give everything to try and win it.'
Real trail Barca by three points and if they beat Real Sociedad on Sunday they will overtake the Catalans at the top of the standings due to their superior head-to-head record. Zinedine Zidane's side beat Valencia 3-0 on Thursday with a superb second-half display and won 3-1 against Eibar in their first game back and the extra time off has allowed Eden Hazard and Marco Asensio to return from injury.
Barca had beaten Real Mallorca on their return and defeated struggling Leganes 2-0 although they looked sluggish at times in both matches. Pique said they had deserved to beat third-placed Sevilla and cursed not being able to score.
'It was a very competitive game and we didn't play badly but this feels like two points dropped because we had more chances than them and they were looking tired towards the end,' he added. 'But they are third in the league, they are a top team so we should not be surprised that it was difficult.'
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- GAMING NEWS Genshin Impact: how to download free in PS4, PC, iOS and Android
- US Election 2020 What did Trump say about vote by mail in debate against Biden?
- Coronavirus India Covid-19 cases surpass 6.2 million; vice-president Venkaiah Naidu tests positive
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: how much would be paid to children and adults in new HEROES Act?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: What did moderator Chris Wallace and Trump argue about?