Cristiano Ronaldo's goals, Lazio's unbeaten run: Serie A returns
With Serie A set to return on Saturday, we look back over the 2019-20 season so far and identify the best stats as league action restarts.
Serie A resumes on Saturday, making it the latest major European League to return to action. The coronavirus pandemic forced most global sport to shut down in March, but the Bundesliga, LaLiga and Premier League have all recommenced their 2019-20 campaigns – albeit behind closed doors.
Football has already returned in Italy, however, with Napoli edging out Juventus to lift the Coppa Italia trophy on Wednesday.
But the top tier makes its comeback with a double-header of Torino v Parma and Hellas Verona v Cagliari on Saturday, with everything from relegation to the title still to be decided.
As we look forward to the season's resumption, we glance back at the best Opta stats from Italy's top-flight campaign so far.
- Juve have been trailing for 133 minutes in 2019-20, less time than any other team in Serie A this season.
- At home, Juve are unbeaten in their previous 34 league games (W29, D5), more than double the next best streak (Lazio at 15).
- This term, Cristiano Ronaldo equalled the record of 11 consecutive goalscoring appearances in a single Serie A season. He has also already levelled his haul of goals from 2018-19 despite making nine fewer appearances, averaging 0.95 goals per game compared to 0.68 last season.
- Among the players who made their debut in the three-points-for-a-win era, Ronaldo was the fastest to reach 42 goals (52 appearances) – before him the record was 58 games played (Vincenzo Montella, Andriy Shevchenko and Brazil great Ronaldo).
- Lazio are unbeaten in their previous 21 league games (W17 D4), already an all-time Serie A record for the club. Six of the seven previous teams with streaks as long as that in a single season went on to win the Scudetto (the only exception was Roma in 2009-10).
- Ciro Immobile has 27 goals in 26 games in 2019-20. Only Antonio Valentin Angelillo (29) in has managed more after 26 matchdays.
- Antonio Conte is the first Inter coach to see his team score in each of his first 19 games in all competitions.
- Inter have won nine of their 13 Serie A away games this season (D2 L2): only in the 2006-07 campaign have the Nerazzurri won more (11).
- Romelu Lukaku is one of three players to have scored at least 17 Serie A goals in their first 25 games of a debut season with Inter, emulating Giuseppe Meazza (1929-30) and Stefano Nyers (1948-49).
- Atalanta's 70 goals in this Serie A campaign already represents their second-best haul in a single season (77 in 2018-19).
- No team has scored as many as 70 goals in the first 25 matches of a single Serie A season since 1959, when Fiorentina netted 79.
- Three Atalanta players are into double figures in terms of goals this season: Josip Ilicic, Luis Muriel and Duvan Zapata. Only in 1949-50 and 1951-52 have the club had as many players reach 10 goals.
- Since Stefano Pioli joined Milan, they have kept the most clean sheets in Serie A (seven).
- Since his first spell at Milan (which began in August 2010), Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored 60 goals for the Rossoneri in all competitions, more than any other player with the club in the period.
Te recomendamos en English
- WFS LIVE 'African clubs need to develop their brand before chasing profit'
- WFS LIVE 'The pandemic has prompted a wave of creativity across the sports industry'
- MARADONA Maradona's lawyer calls for investigation into medical services' "CRIMINAL IDIOCY"
- World Football Summit Eto’o: “Diego Maradona was an idol for a whole generation”
- PREMIER LEAGUE Which Premier League clubs can have fans back in stadiums?
- US News Black Friday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Walmart, Costco & Target