French stadiums to allow fans from 11 July
The French Cup (PSG vs Saint-Étienne) and League Cup (PSG vs Olympique Lyon) finals could now be played with spectators as stadium restrictions are lifted.
Stadiums in France will re-open to fans on 11 July as the country continues to lift measures imposed to contain the Covid-19 outbreak, the government said on Saturday.
Fans will be able to attend French Cup finals
A maximum of 5,000 fans, however, will be allowed in the arenas - a restriction that could be eased later in the summer with the new season due to start on the weekend of 22 August. The French Cup (PSG vs Saint-Étienne) and League Cup (PSG vs Olympique Lyon) finals could now be played with spectators and fans will also be able to watch their teams play pre-season friendlies.
"A further review of the national epidemiological situation will be carried out in mid-July to decide whether a loosening is possible for the second half of August," the government said. "Subject to a new assessment of the epidemiological situation, the start of the new school year may be marked by further easing of the restrictions."
Le gouvernement a fait de nouvelles annonces. La pratique des sports collectifs est de nouveau autorisée, pas celle des sports de combat. De même, la réouverture des stades sera autorisée à partir du 11 juillet avec une jauge maximale à 5 000 spectateurs https://t.co/zuqI31Z8xD pic.twitter.com/Fb4HEfkJCu— L'ÉQUIPE (@lequipe) June 20, 2020
Europe's major leagues up and running
The 2019-20 Ligue 1 season was officially ended on 30 April with Paris Saint-Germain crowned champions. It was the only one of the five biggest domestic soccer leagues in Europe to call off the season due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Premier League, LaLiga and Bundesliga all resumed this month while Serie A is due to restart later today.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22