Werder Bremen avoid automatic relegation as Dusseldorf go down
Fortuna Dusseldorf have been relegated from the Bundesliga as Werder Bremen ensured their battle against the drop will continue.
Werder Bremen produced a stunning performance to avoid automatic relegation from the Bundesliga with a 6-1 home triumph over Cologne.
Fortuna Dusseldorf suffered the drop instead after they lost 3-0 at Union Berlin on Saturday.
Bremen into relegation play-off
After finishing 16th, Werder will now play a two-legged relegation playoff against a team from 2. Bundesliga, most likely to be either Heidenheim or Hamburg.
Consecutive defeats to Bayern Munich and Mainz had Werder on the brink of being relegated for the first time since 1981.
They came into the final day of the regular season two points adrift of Dusseldorf with an inferior goal difference.
But after selecting an attacking line-up, Florian Kohfeldt was rewarded as his side raced into a three-goal lead inside the first half-hour thanks to strikes from Yuya Osako, Milot Rashica and Niclas Fullkrug.
There was a positive half-time update from the Dusseldorf game, with hosts Union holding a one-goal advantage courtesy of Anthony Ujah.
After the break, Davy Klaassen scored and Osako added a second as Werder moved five goals in front, while the good news kept coming with a second Union goal from Christian Gentner in the other game.
Dominick Drexler scored for Cologne but rampant Werder made it six through substitute Josh Sargent.
With no revival against Union, who added a third thanks to Suleiman Abdullahi, it meant Dusseldorf's second season in the Bundesliga ended in relegation.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands