Manchester City will perform the guard of honour for Liverpool, Guardiola confirms
Pep Guardiola says the Reds are deserved champions "We will greet Liverpool, when they come to our house. We are going to do it because they deserve it".
Manchester City will give newly crowned Premier League champions Liverpool a guard of honour when the teams meet at the Etihad Stadium on Thursday, manager Pep Guardiola has said.
Champions Liverpool, guests at the Etihad
Liverpool ended their 30-year wait for a top-flight title when last season's champions City were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea last week, handing the Merseyside club an unassailable 23-point lead at the top of the table. Liverpool's first match since being confirmed as champions is at City's stadium and Guardiola said his players would pay tribute to Jürgen Klopp's title-winning side.
"We are going to do the guard of honour of course," Guardiola said. "We will greet Liverpool, when they come to our house, in an incredible way. We are going to do it because they deserve it."
City to address key areas
The 49-year-old added that he was already looking forward to helping City come back stronger next season. "In sport you have to live in the future," Guardiola said. "Never can you have one eye on what you have done. Never forget that we are an incredible club and organisation and what you have to do is learn. I think we know the reason why we suffered this season and we are going to try to solve it for next season."
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City: Agüero to miss return leg against Real Madrid
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Mnuchin claims Trump backs 'another round' before 20 July
- PREMIER LEAGUE VAR officials "are frightened to death to overrule referees" says Gary Neville