South Africa: six million pupils expected in schools during second phase-in
Around six million students are expected to get back to school starting 6 July despite rising concerns of their parents and teachers.
Schools are set to accept around six million pupils on 6 July as a part of South Africa's plan of gradual phase-in, despite the surge in Covid-19 cases across the country. And this has many parents concerned about their children's return to school.
The government is easing restrictions on industries and educational institutes in an attempt to help improve economic conditions amidst the Covid-19 crisis.
School re-opening, grades and dates announced
During this stage of schools re-opening, the pupils of certain grades are expected to be back on 6 July, and the list is as follows:
Early Childhood Development (ECD);
School of Skills: Years 2 and 3
Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities (SID): Grades R, 1, 2, 3 and 6; and
Special Care Centers for Learners with Severe and Profound Intellectual Disabilities (LSPID): Years 1-3
Basic Education Department spokesperson, Mr Elijah Mhlanga made assurances that schools have taken all the necessary measures to ensure the safety of their pupils.
"We have been doing a lot of work to prepare for the next cohort of learners that are coming back on the 6th of July," he said. "It's a large number, about six million of them are coming back. Provinces have been focusing on the preparations."
The last phase of school re-opening is set to be on 3 August as more grades are expected to return to schools. These include:
School of Skills: Year 1; and
Schools for Learners with Severe Intellectual Disabilities (SID): Grades 4 and 5
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night