Real Madrid squad for Athletic: no Hazard, Varane or James
Not wanting to risk putting him out for the final run-in of what is hoped is a title-winning season, Zinedine Zidane has left out his star Belgian winger.
Zinedine Zidane has confirmed that he is not going to risk Eden Hazard's ankle for Sunday's game against Athletic in Bilbao. The Belgian was left out of the tight win over Getafe and the manager is keen to have him fully fit before returning.
Hazard out again for Madrid
The knock for Hazard came in the 1-0 win over Espanyol and, despite a tough game expected, Madrid could stretch their lead over Barcelona at the top of LaLiga to seven points if they win before the Catalans face Villarreal. Zidane doesn't want to jeopardise the winger's chances of finishing the season and will look to others to fill in.
"Eden's having a hard time these days and we don't want to risk anything, and he's the first [to agree]," Zidane said. "Hopefully, it's a small thing and we can see him again before the end of the league [season].
"He's been away for three or four days and I hope he'll get over it quickly. It's day to day; we don't know anything more than it's a strong blow. There are those who know, the doctors and the medics... they are very competent people. It was a blow against Espanyol and it's a matter of days."
Hazard's first season at Madrid since a €100million move from Chelsea has been blighted by injuries, with the 29-year-old having only started 13 league games in 2019-20.
"The Hazard thing is the sort of thing we don't want to happen, that's the worst thing for me," Zidane said. "It's not just me, there's a lot of people here to help the player.
"For Eden, it's his first year and he wants to help the team. And when he can't do that, he's not happy.
"I don't think he's afraid [of injuries]; what he wants is to be good enough to play. If he doesn't look 100 per cent, it's a problem for him and for everyone, because we love him to the max.
"What I hope is that we'll soon get out of it."
Real Madrid squad to face Athletic
Goalkeepers: Courtois, Areola, Altube.
Defenders: Carvajal, Militao, Ramos, Marcelo, Mendy, Javi Hernández.
Midfielders: Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Valverde, Isco.
Forwards: Benzema, Bale, Lucas Vázquez, Jovic, Asensio, Brahim, Mariano, Vinicius, Rodrygo.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?