Second stimulus check: when could Congress pass it - if it doesn't in August?
Congressional schedule indicates that the second stimulus checks could come as early as August for millions of Americans impacted by the outbreak.
Many states started taking drastic measures since the economy reopened last month because cases of coronavirus are spiking in alarming numbers. So many governors are closing down again certain sectors of the economy in an attempt to stop or at least control the spreading.
As this is happening many Americans are hoping to get a second round of stimulus checks because they have been impacted by the coronavirus crisis. Lawmakers have indicated on several occasions that they want to pass another economic relief package.
The House Democrats passed the HEROES Act a $3 trillion stimulus relief package that among other measures it will give a second payment of $1,200 per individual to millions of Americans and up to $6,000 per family.
Though negotiations over the next bill aren't likely to start until 20 July, when the Senate is set to reconvene after a two-week break for Independence Day. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday that "of course" Congress would have enough time to negotiate another bill before Capitol Hill clears out on 7 August.
She said Republicans have "publicly said that 'this or that' should be in the next bill, so we anticipate we will have a bill." There are signs that the White House would get behind additional funding.
Trump recently told Fox News that he not only supports a second round of stimulus checks but that he wants "larger numbers than the Democrats, but it's got to be done properly," Trump said. "I want the money getting to people to be larger so they can spend it. I want the money to get there quickly and in a non-complicated fashion."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem