Barcelona to wait as Xavi renews as Al-Sadd coach for 20-21 season
Xavi Hernandez has renewed his managerial contract with Qatari side Al-Sadd for the 2020-21 season, the club announced amid speculation he could return to his former club Barcelona.
It had been widely reported in Spanish media that Xavi Hernandez had been approached by FC Barcelona to replace Ernesto Valverde before Quique Setien was appointed in January while reports this week once again linked him with a return to the Camp Nou at the end of the season.
Xavi, 40, took charge of the Qatari side last year following his retirement and the club is currently third in the standings ahead of the restart of the 2019-20 season which was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"I am happy to continue with Al-Sadd, and the team's goal will always be to compete for all titles," Xavi said in a statement.
"(My) complete focus in this current period is to fully equip the players for the upcoming domestic and Asian competitions."
Coach Xavi Hernandez renews his contract with Qatar's Al Sadd for 2020-21 season pic.twitter.com/tg49nAUjCh— Qatar Stars League (@QSL_EN) July 5, 2020
Xavi, who made 767 appearances for Barcelona and won 25 trophies for the La Liga club, had said last month that he hoped to return to the Camp Nou when the time was right to start his own project from scratch.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: what’s in the GOP bill to be voted on this week?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check What have Biden and Trump said about second stimulus check?
- Premier League Man Utd and Liverpool in European Premier League talks - report
- Inter Milan Conte: Inter better prepared to contend in Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ramos ruled out of Real Madrid's Champions League opener