LaLiga countdown: remaining fixtures for Real Madrid and Barcelona
Zinedine Zidane's team regain their four-point cushion at the top of the table after they overcame Alavés on Friday night.
In the latest round of quick-fire fixtures, Barcelona saw off local rivals Espanyol with another decent performance while Real Madrid kept up their winning run - that's eight from eight - with a penalty from Karim Benzema and a tap home from Marco Asensio against Alavés. This ensured Los Blancos regained their important four-point lead at the top of the table as the LaLiga challenge nears its conclusion.
The gap remains in LaLiga title race
If Barça and Real Madrid end the season level on points, Madrid will be declared champions as their win over the Catalans at Santiago Bernabéu in March gives them the better head-to-head figures. With just three games now to play, Los Blancos can afford to drop points but will be aiming to keep the pressure on till the end. Gerard Piqué had already admitted that it was going to be an uphill battle after their game in Seville, and their situation has worsened ever since.
"I think it's going to be very difficult to win LaLiga this season. We are going to do everything we possibly can to win it but Madrid are not going to drop many points. I can't see Madrid losing many games." And that was before Aspas' late equaliser for Celta, and Simeone's men leaving Catalonia with a point. Despite Barça's upturn in form, time is running out.
Real Madrid and Barcelona remaining fixtures
Home games, at the Alfredo Di Stéfano or Camp Nou, are in bold.
However, it's not over until it's over, and there is still a chance that Madrid will drop points before the end. They still have to face Villarreal and then there is a meeting with Leganés, who are battling to avoid relegation. Barça meanwhile will expect to take a maximum 12 from 12 to keep the pressure on.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS Third stimulus check: who would be eligible under Joe Biden’s proposal?
- Spanish Super Cup Leo Messi shown red card in Spanish Super Cup final against Athletic
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: will be there a new round of payments?
- LIGA MX Former Houston Astros general manager looking to buy a Liga MX club
- US NEWS What have Republicans said about the new American Rescue Plan?
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live