FC Barcelona: CAS dismisses appeal over Neymar move
The Catalan club were handed the decision over wrongdoing during the Neymar signing by the the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Tuesday.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has cleared Barcelona of committing fraud when they signed Neymar from Barcelona.
CAS dismiss Santos' Neymar appeal
Santos launched an appeal claiming they were owed €61,295,000 by Barca in compensation and damages relating to the Paris Saint-Germain forward's move to Spain in 2013.
The Brazilian club took their case to FIFA, believing Barca had broken the rules with payments made to Neymar's father and the family company N&N.
However, on Tuesday it was revealed CAS had dismissed Santos' challenge.
A CAS statement said: "The Court of Arbitration for Sport has dismissed the appeal made by Santos to FIFA in which the Brazilian club claimed a payment of €61,295,000 in damages from FC Barcelona and the corresponding sporting bans with regards to the transfer of Neymar Jr.
"The CAS considers that the contract between Santos and the player was ended by mutual agreement, that FC Barcelona did not infringe any transfer agreement when it paid additional amounts to the father of the player and to the N&N company and that FC Barcelona did not behave in a fraudulent manner when it signed a pre-contract with Neymar Jr nor when it signed a transfer agreement with Santos.
"The CAS verdict compels Santos to pay FC Barcelona's legal costs, a figure of 20,000 Swiss francs."
News of the verdict came on a day when Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu said it is "unlikely" the Brazil international will return to Camp Nou.
"Such an operation is unlikely because the situation of all the clubs in Europe is very difficult," Bartomeu told RAC 1.
Neymar was last month ordered by a judge to pay Barcelona €6.7m over a contract dispute with the Catalan giants following his €222m world-record move to PSG in August 2017.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How do NFL players get paid? per game or per week?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 stimulus check in California: who qualifies and how to track
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax deadline, stimulus calculator | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: Will you get a $1,400 payment, and when?
- Entertainment CoD Black Ops & Warzone Season 2 new content: map, weapon, outbreak
- LOTTERY How much do you get if you have 1, 2 or 3 Powerball numbers?