Second stimulus check: what are the 'critical components' that the Trump administration talks about?
Donald Trump's White House administration are focusing on a couple of critical components as negotiations continue over a second stimulus package.
It looks like there will be a second stimulus check after all the debate between Republicans and Democrats over what the second stimulus package would include in recent months. Economic aid was inevitable given the state the coronavirus pandemic has left the economy in but it was just a matter of deciding how it would be packaged and when it would be decided.
Republicans wanted to focus on helping small business, getting people back to work and tax breaks. Democrats were pushing for a second stimulus check and had passed a bill, the HEROES Act that would have seen that second stimulus check become a reality. The Republicans control the Senate and were always going to push back against it but they have recently conceded that a second stimulus would happen for the hardest hit during the pandemic.
Speaking in Kentucky on Monday, Republican, Mitch McConnell said: "I think the people who have been hit the hardest are people who make about $40,000 a year or less. Many of them work in the hospitality industry. The hospitality industry, as all of you know, just got rim-racked - hotels, restaurants - and so (more stimulus checks) could be part of it." He added: "the country needs one last boost."
- Supreme Court rules Trump does not have complete immunity
- Joe Biden's plans for his 2020 presidential election rallies
- Trump rallies for the 2020 presidential elections
- Second stimulus check: why July 20 is a key date
- Second Stimulus Check: How could they affect student loans?
- When to contact IRS if stimulus payment has not arrived
Trump focusing on critical components of second stimulus package
Donald Trump, who is looking to be re-elected in November, has been pushing, gently, for a second stimulus check. "It will be very generous," he said last week when asked about a second stimulus check. "I support actually larger numbers than the Democrats, but it's got to be done properly," Trump said on Fox News. "I want the money getting to people to be larger so they can spend it. I want the money to get there quickly and in a non-complicated fashion."
The White House and Trump's administration have referred to 'critical components' that they want to make sure are in place regarding the second stimulus package. Trump's Chief of Staff Mark Meadows explained just what they are.
Meadows explained, "We want to make sure that we're addressing things in a real, systemic way, whether that is making sure that the take-home check for every American is greater with a payroll tax deduction, whether it's making sure that we provide incentives for American manufacturing to be brought back from abroad."
Trump has long championed American manufacturing. Trump also still favours a payroll tax, referring to it and the manufacturing incentive as “critical components” of the White House’s position.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem