VAR officials "are frightened to death to overrule referees" says Gary Neville
Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville says the Premier League is "failing badly" with the use of VAR which continues to provoke debate.
Football pundit Gary Neville believes that VAR officials are too scared to overturn on-field decisions following further controversial incidents in the Premier League on Thursday. Aston Villa boss Dean Smith was left fuming after Manchester United were awarded a penalty when Ezri Konsa was adjudged to have fouled Bruno Fernandes, who scored the opening goal from the spot in a 3-0 win following a VAR check.
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho was also left stunned when Harry Kane appeared to be pushed over by Joshua King, but both referee Paul Tierney and VAR official Michael Oliver did not feel a foul should be awarded in a goalless draw.
On VAR. Send the Ref to the screens for goodness sake ! The “ we know better” than Europe way is failing badly. The officials off-site are frightened to death to overrule on-site colleagues .— Gary Neville (@GNev2) July 10, 2020
Get rid of the VAR operations room
Former Manchester United and England defender Neville wants to see referees check pitch-side monitors rather than rely on verdicts from Stockley Park. "On VAR. Send the Ref to the screens for goodness sake! The "we know better" than Europe way is failing badly," Neville tweeted. "The officials off-site are frightened to death to overrule on-site colleagues."
Villa boss Smith was left frustrated at the VAR call made in the defeat to United as they battle to avoid relegation from the top flight. "It all changed round on the penalty. I can understand Jon [on-field referee Moss] getting it wrong on the pitch but VAR? I don't know what they're looking at. It's a disgraceful decision," he said. "They've got a screen there they can go and look at, but they don't seem to be bothered now."
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"