LaLiga chief Tebas rails at CAS after Manchester City Europe verdict
LaLiga president Javier Tebas is unimpressed Manchester City's UEFA competition ban has been overturned, terming CAS as "not up to standard."
Manchester City's successful appeal against a two-year ban from UEFA competition proves the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) is no longer up to standard in the eyes of LaLiga president Javier Tebas.
In February, the Premier League club were accused of committing "serious breaches" of UEFA's Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations. They were handed a two-season suspension from European tournaments and fined €30million.
But CAS ruled in City's favour on Monday following the club's appeal, meaning the 2018-19 Premier League champions will be able to compete in the Champions League next season, while their fine was reduced to €10m.
Tebas: "The CAS is not up to standard"
Tebas has long been a critic of City and Paris Saint-Germain, routinely accusing them of "ruining" football due to being funded by "petrol money" from the Middle East, suggesting in 2017 that such situations were "financial doping".
And following Monday's ruling, Tebas hit out at CAS and questioned whether they can still be trusted to judge on such matters.
He told reporters: "We have to reassess whether the CAS is the appropriate body to which to appeal institutional decisions in football.
"Switzerland is a country with a great history of arbitration, the CAS is not up to standard."
City CEO Khaldoon Al Mubarak has previously fired back at Tebas for his comments, urging the Spanish official to look back on the history of LaLiga and its domination by two clubs before casting judgement on other leagues.
Te recomendamos en English
- Diego Maradona dies: The greatest of all just left us – former Argentina team-mate Russo
- DIEGO MARADONA 1960-2020 Diego Maradona: Napoli could rename stadium after legend
- Diego Maradona dies: Guardiola pays tribute to 'man of joy' as Klopp hails Argentina great
- INTER 0-2 REAL MADRID Real Madrid player ratings vs Inter: Hazard, Lucas, Rodrygo...
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- US News California unemployment benefits fraud: who stole from the state?