Atlético finish third, Real Sociedad and Granada qualify for the Europa League
Granada qualified for European competition for the first time in their history after beating Athletic Club 4-0, they will be joined by Villarreal and Real Sociedad.
A late goal by substitute Adnan Januzaj handed Real Sociedad a 1-1 draw at Atlético Madrid on the final day of the 2019/20 La Liga season as the Basque side finished sixth in the standings to secure a spot in the Europa League.
Top 4 finish: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atlético and Sevilla
The draw left Atlético on 70 points, 17 behind champions and city rivals Real Madrid and 12 behind Barcelona. They will be joined in next season's Champions League by fourth-placed Sevilla, who beat Valencia 1-0.
Granada make history by qualifying for Europe for the first time
Granada hammered Athletic Club 4-0 to nab seventh place and a spot in the second qualifying round of the Europa League - the first time the Andalucian outfit has qualified for Europe in their history.
Needing only a point to make it into Europe next season, Real Sociedad's dream was almost shattered when an outrageously brilliant backheel from Atleti's Álvaro Morata teed up the ball for Koke to blast home on the half-hour mark. However, a free kick three minutes from time by Januzaj somehow flew into the net, thus securing La Real a place in Europe next season.
Roberto Soldado got Granada off the mark in the 29th minute and second-half goals from Antonio Puertas, Carlos Fernández and Ángel Montoro helped them breeze past Athletic. They finished with 56 points. Villarreal had already secured fifth place in the standings and qualification for the group stages of the Europa League, while Getafe slumped to a 1-0 defeat by Levante to miss out on Europe, finishing in eighth place on 54 points.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: when is the deadline to register for non-filers?
- US ELECTIONS US elections 2020: Can I vote by mail without an excuse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: Tottenham still "trying" to sign players
- REAL MADRID Zidane on Bale, Hazard, Odegaard, Betis, new signings...
- LIVERPOOL Klopp happy to support EFL clubs: “People in a better position should help others”