Bayern Munich: Lewandowski pips Sancho, Kimmich to player o the year award
The Bayern striker, who top scored in the Bundesliga this season, has been named the division's best player ahead of Jadon Sancho and Joshua Kimmich.
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has been named Bundesliga player of the year by his peers, beating Jadon Sancho and his teammate Joshua Kimmich to the award. It is the fourth time the Poland international has been chosen by the German Players’ Union (VDV) after winning in 2013, 2017 and 2018.
Lewandowski banged in 34 Bundesliga goals this season and scored 51 in all competitions as Bayern completed a domestic double. He will have the chance to add to that tally when Bayern resume their Champions League campaign against Chelsea and as it stands Lewandowski will also claim the European Golden Shoe when the season ends. The Bayern striker’s 34 league goals can only feasibly be overhauled by Lazio’s Ciro Immobile (29) or Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo before 2019-20 is wrapped up.
Bayern clean sweep of VDV awards
Lewandowski took almost half the votes from the members of the VDV. The striker gleaned 42.6 percent compared to 14.1 percent for Sancho and 12.2 percent for Kimmich.
Bayern boss Hansi Flick, who started out as interim coach, won the manager of the season award with Bayern and Canada’s Alphonso Davies named newcomer of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Mexico to battle for bronze in Olympic softball
- OLYMPIC GAMES What the USWNT needs to advance to the quarter-finals at Tokyo 2020
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Who is in the USA golf team at the Tokyo Olympics 2021?