Bayern Munich: Lewandowski pips Sancho, Kimmich to player o the year award
The Bayern striker, who top scored in the Bundesliga this season, has been named the division's best player ahead of Jadon Sancho and Joshua Kimmich.
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski has been named Bundesliga player of the year by his peers, beating Jadon Sancho and his teammate Joshua Kimmich to the award. It is the fourth time the Poland international has been chosen by the German Players’ Union (VDV) after winning in 2013, 2017 and 2018.
Lewandowski banged in 34 Bundesliga goals this season and scored 51 in all competitions as Bayern completed a domestic double. He will have the chance to add to that tally when Bayern resume their Champions League campaign against Chelsea and as it stands Lewandowski will also claim the European Golden Shoe when the season ends. The Bayern striker’s 34 league goals can only feasibly be overhauled by Lazio’s Ciro Immobile (29) or Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo before 2019-20 is wrapped up.
Bayern clean sweep of VDV awards
Lewandowski took almost half the votes from the members of the VDV. The striker gleaned 42.6 percent compared to 14.1 percent for Sancho and 12.2 percent for Kimmich.
Bayern boss Hansi Flick, who started out as interim coach, won the manager of the season award with Bayern and Canada’s Alphonso Davies named newcomer of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: when is the deadline to register for non-filers?
- US ELECTIONS US elections 2020: Can I vote by mail without an excuse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: Tottenham still "trying" to sign players
- REAL MADRID Zidane on Bale, Hazard, Odegaard, Betis, new signings...
- LIVERPOOL Klopp happy to support EFL clubs: “People in a better position should help others”