Luka Modric: "Sergio Ramos is a the best defender in the world"
Luka Modric was full of compliments for team mates Sergio Ramos and Karim Benzema after winning his second LaLiga title with Real Madrid.
Luka Modric believs his club team mate Sergio Ramos as a football phenomenon and says the Real Madrid captain is the best defender in the world. Ramos skippered Madrid to the club's 34th LaLiga title this season and his fifth at the club, scoring 11 times on the way - a record for a defender this century.
Modric and Ramos, friends on and off the pitch
The 34-year-old has won 22 trophies with Los Blancos since joining from Sevilla in 2005 and remains integral to Zinedine Zidane's plans, with some suggesting he could have been in the running for the Ballon d'Or this year before the 2020 award was cancelled. Modric, who has become a good friend of Ramos since moving to the Spanish capital in 2012, says there can be no doubting his quality.
"My brother Sergio is a phenomenon," he told Sportske Novosti. "And I'm not just saying that because in eight years we've created a really special relationship, we hang out as families, go on holiday together, or because we've had fantastic footballing experiences and successes together. Ramos is a 34-year-old rock, a top-level competitor, and when you watch him working on himself, it's clear how dedicated he is and how hungry he is for success. He's a team leader and the best defender in the world."
4 - Sergio Ramos became the defender with the most goals scored in a single LaLiga season in the 21st century (11 in 2019/20), surpassing Mariano Pernía's record in 2005/06 (10). Brave. #OptaBestXI@realmadriden pic.twitter.com/9afiDhmxuX— OptaJose (@OptaJose) July 21, 2020
Benzema at his best
Madrid's title triumph was also inspired by in-form striker Karim Benzema, whose 21 goals earned his side 16 points in the title race. Modric believes Benzema is now starting to get the recognition he deserves.
"Now, everyone has finally realised what we players have known for a long time," he said. "Benzema is a top striker who is a pleasure to play with. His understanding of the game, movement, disrupting the balance of the opposition defence, is something special. Benzema has always done a great job for the team and I am just glad that he has now experienced a general standing ovation and great satisfaction from people recognising his class."
Madrid unbeaten since LaLiga resumed
Madrid trailed Barcelona at the top of the table when LaLiga was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, but a run of 10 wins in a row and a draw with Leganés on the final day saw them finish five points clear. Modric felt there were signs when the team returned to training that they had a good chance of overhauling the Catalans.
"I've already won 16 trophies at Real Madrid, four Champions Leagues, but this LaLiga title made me especially happy," he added. "We definitely should have had more domestic titles because we threw away some championships in a very clumsy way. While we were shut in our homes, we all trained. I was in contact with team-mates and noticed everyone was working with extra motivation. When we finally got back to training together, I felt an even stronger connection between the players, enjoying being together again and in full swing."
Te recomendamos en English
- CHELSEA-REAL MADRID Chelsea - Real Madrid: possible starting line-ups for the Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE What are Christian Pulisic's Champions League stats and records?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid (3-1 agg): result, goals, summary: Champions League 2020/21
- BOXING What is Floyd Mayweather’s net worth?
- 2021 TAX FILING Biden tax plan calculator: how could your taxes and credits change?
- CORONAVIRUS US Pfizer/BioNtech covid-19 vaccine for kids: ages, who can get and when?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE How many Champions League finals have Chelsea played in?
- BOXING What is Logan Paul's net worth?
- NFL Brett Farve thinks Rodgers time in Green Bay may be coming to an end
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the fourth stimulus check be approved? Can it still happen in May?
- Cornoavirus When will kids under 12 be able to receive a covid-19 vaccine?