Giroud sets sights on overtaking Platini's goal tally for France
Striker Olivier Giroud wants at least three more caps for France and is currently just two goals behind Michel Platini in the national team ranking.
Olivier Giroud has set his sights on two achievements at international level - overtaking Michel Platini to become France's second-highest goal scorer and earning his 100th cap for Les Bleus.
Henry, Platini and Giroud
As things stand, Giroud, who reached the Euro 2016 final with France then went on to win the 2018 World Cup, has scored 39 international goals in 97 appearances. The 33-year-old has been a stalwart under Didier Deschamps and needs just three more goals to overtake Platini and move second in the all-time list, behind Thierry Henry, who netted 51 times between 1997 and 2010. Now, Giroud has set his sights on becoming only the eighth centurion in France's history, as well as matching Platini's goal haul.
"I had the chance to make a Euro final and win the World Cup," he said in an interview with Canal+. "I'm still thirsty for trophies and to break records in the French team. It would be good to pass 100 caps, and then try to get past Platini in second place in the team's top scorers rankings. These are goals and the Euro next year is of course a goal."
Giroud's goal in Euro 2020 qualifying
Giroud scored six goals as France successfully qualified for Euro 2020, only for the tournament to be pushed back a year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Te recomendamos en English
- FIFA No harm, no foul between Mexico and Honduras after the 90 minutes.
- COPA AMERICA Brazil vs Venezuela: covid-19 chaos as La Vinotinto face up to tall task
- US News Unemployment benefits: How many fraudulent claims were made and how much money was stolen?
- E3 2021 PC Gaming Show at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Square Enix conference at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Microsoft Xbox + Bethesda conference at E3 2021: times, stream online and how to watch