Rafa Nadal pulls out of the US Open
The defending champion has announced he will not play this year's tournament at Flushing Meadows in another blow to the hard-court Grand Slam.
World number two Rafa Nadal has announced that he will not play at this year’s US Open in another blow to the hard-court Grand Slam, which is scheduled to start on 31 August. Nadal, the defending champion, said on Tuesday that he would not be travelling to New York for the tournament due to concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. Roger Federer will also not compete at this year’s tournament due to a knee injury.
It had been speculated that Nadal would give what is normally the final major of the year a skip due to the decision of the French Open to hold Roland Garros just two weeks after the end of the US Open at Flushing Meadows.
WTA world number one Ashleigh Barty and her compatriot Nick Kyrgios have also pulled out of the US Open while Alex Zverez, the world number seven, has said he is considering doing the same. Fabio Fognini, Stan Wawrinka, Jo-Wilfred Tsonga and Gaël Monfils will all also be missing at the pared down Grand Slam.
Nadal: "The situation is very complicated worldwide"
After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it.— Rafa Nadal (@RafaelNadal) August 4, 2020
"After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year's US Open," Nadal said on social media. "The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don't have control of it.
"All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV.
"This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel."
On the same day as Nadal announced his withdrawal from the US Open, the Madrid Open confirmed it would also not take place this year due to the coronavirus crisis.
Both the US Open and the French Open currently plan to go ahead with this year’s tournaments, which will be played behind closed doors.
Te recomendamos en English
- Moving the goalposts! Mourinho reveals woodwork mishap
- CORONAVIRUS $300 unemployment benefits: which states are still paying it?
- US NEWS Breonna Taylor case: who are Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove?
- Black Lives Matter protests Breonna Taylor case: what is ‘wanton endangerment’ in the first degree?
- Billboard Music Awards Billboard Music Awards 2020: list of all nominations - Post Malone, the most nominated
- Liverpool Liverpool were 'easy on the eye' against Lincoln City - Klopp