Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
Barcelona's president said crucial decisions will be made over the next few days after the club's 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich, and refused to confirm if coach Quique Setién would stay on.
After one of the most humiliating nights in Barcelona’s history, capping off a season defined by poor results and off-field controversies, the club’s disconcerted-looking president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, spoke to Spanish broadcaster Movistar.
Firstly, the under-fire director wanted to ask fans for forgiveness after the unprecedented 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter final, before stating clearly that “in the next few days we will make decisions”.
“We had already taken many of them before this Champions League (mini-tournament) had started,” he added.
Bartomeu on Setién
Those decisions are likely to affect coach Quique Setién, who himself recognised the gravity of the defeat and the possible consequences for his own future at the club in his post-match interview.
Asked whether Setién would continue, Bartomeu, who sounded nervous as he spoke, said: "I prefer not to say anything now."
"If new blood has to come and change this dynamic, I will be the first to pack up and leave"https://t.co/8ub4gl3ONi— AS English (@English_AS) August 14, 2020
The Barça president also refused to be drawn into to talk of a possible advancement of the presidential elections scheduled for 2021.
"I will not say anything about the decisions now. You have to live this pain and raise your spirits for tomorrow,” he said.
After congratulating Bayern, who, he added, "deserved to go through", the president acknowledged that "we did not measure up to the level of the club we represent. It was a disaster.”
Bartomeu, who has faced serious questions over his management in recent years, will look to start the rebuild next week after a monumental defeat that must prompt a sea change at Camp Nou.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Inter Miami will allow fans to attend match against Orlando City
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Latest News USA When does daylight saving time end in the USA and when do the clocks go back?
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why is McConnell advising against the deal?
- Football Raja Casablanca petition CAF to postpone Zamalek match