Barcelona promote Ramon Planes to replace Eric Abidal
After working under Eric Abidal for two years, Ramon Planes was appointed technical secretary as part of Barcelona's restructure.
Barcelona have named Ramon Planes as their new sporting director following the dismissal of Eric Abidal.
Abidal was let go on Tuesday, a day after informing head coach Quique Setien that he would not keep his job following the 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals on Friday.
Planes was appointed as Abidal's assistant in June 2018 after a year as technical secretary at Getafe and will now take on the senior role at Camp Nou.
The 52-year-old spent five years at Espanyol from June 2007, while he has also worked with Tottenham during the 2014-15 season.
Planes is set to have his work cut out for him with a report by Sport suggesting the majority of the Barca first-team squad were put up for sale prior to Ronald Koeman's appointment as Setien's successor.
LATEST NEWS - Ramon Planes, new technical director for Barça pic.twitter.com/JQq6Z9r7xb— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 19, 2020
Lionel Messi is not thought to be among the vast list of players to have been made available for a transfer but it has been claimed he wants to leave.
Abidal came under fire for his handling of Ernesto Valverde's departure in January, when Barcelon were top of LaLiga.
The Catalan giants ended up surrendering a two-point advantage ahead of the coronavirus-enforced suspension and finished five points adrift of Real Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?