Messi demands to leave Barcelona now
The Barça star has sent a certified letter to the club stating his intention to leave by way of a clause in his contract allowing him to unilaterally terminate the agreement.
Leo Messi has sent a certified letter - known as a burofax in Spain - to Barcelona, communicating his intention to leave the club. The player intends to take advantage of a clause in his contact that allows him to unilaterally break the contract at the end of each season.
Messi believes he can still break his contract with Barcelona
Barcelona had understood that this clause expired at the end of each 31 May, meaning that the contract had automatically renewed for another year. However Messi's lawyers argue that the season within the meaning of the clause did not finish on 31 May due to the coronavirus pandemic and that Messi therefore retains the option to terminate the contract.
Where the contract had automatically renewed Messi's buy-out clause of €700 million would still be in effect through to 30 June 2021.
According to various sources, Messi's decision is final and he will not play for Barcelona again.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Third stimulus check: what proposals are in negotiation?
- US NEWS How many extra doses of coronavirus vaccines has Biden ordered?
- FOOTBALL UEFA commits to 12 host cities for Euro 2020
- RAYO 1-2 BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings vs Rayo Vallecano
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Opta stat attack as Sheff United stun Man United
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check today: when to expect, Biden relief plan and IRS payment | Live updates