Messi demands to leave Barcelona now
The Barça star has sent a certified letter to the club stating his intention to leave by way of a clause in his contract allowing him to unilaterally terminate the agreement.
Leo Messi has sent a certified letter - known as a burofax in Spain - to Barcelona, communicating his intention to leave the club. The player intends to take advantage of a clause in his contact that allows him to unilaterally break the contract at the end of each season.
Messi believes he can still break his contract with Barcelona
Barcelona had understood that this clause expired at the end of each 31 May, meaning that the contract had automatically renewed for another year. However Messi's lawyers argue that the season within the meaning of the clause did not finish on 31 May due to the coronavirus pandemic and that Messi therefore retains the option to terminate the contract.
Where the contract had automatically renewed Messi's buy-out clause of €700 million would still be in effect through to 30 June 2021.
According to various sources, Messi's decision is final and he will not play for Barcelona again.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: what’s in the GOP bill to be voted on this week?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check What have Biden and Trump said about second stimulus check?
- Premier League Man Utd and Liverpool in European Premier League talks - report
- Inter Milan Conte: Inter better prepared to contend in Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ramos ruled out of Real Madrid's Champions League opener