Bartomeu will resign if Messi stays... on one conditon - reports
According to reports in Spain, Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu is willing to step down in a bid to convince Messi to stay, but under one condition.
The fallout at Barcelona over Lionel Messi’s now famous burofax, in which he demanded that the club allow him to leave immediately after 17 professional seasons at Camp Nou, has been quick and profound.
And if reports in Spain are anything go by, Barça president Josep Bartomeu may finally be willing to bow down to pressure amid the increasing anger of Barcelona fans, some of whom stormed the gates of the Camp Nou on Wednesday evening demanding the president’s resignation.
According to a report by TV3, Bartomeu has offered to step down if Messi is willing to say publically that the president is his main problem at the club, where the Argentine forward has cut an increasingly unhappy figure in recent months.
In such a scenario, Bartomeu would resign, however the current board would remain in place under the direction of an interim president until presidential elections next year.
Tensions have reached boiling point at Camp Nou as angry fans storm the gates demanding president Josep Bartomeu resign....https://t.co/kEIrEeMuhr— AS English (@English_AS) August 26, 2020
Messi’s problems at Barcelona go beyond Bartomeu
But with the extent of Messi's disillusionment with the club, even Bartomeu’s offer to step aside will likely not be enough to convince him to stay. According to sources close to the player, his issues go far beyond the president and are rooted much deeper.
Another issue is Ronald Koeman, whose frank meeting with Messi earlier this week was reportedly the final straw for the captain, who was told by the new coach that his “privileges are over” at the club.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night