Courtois returns to Madrid after being released by Belgium
AS understands that the goalkeeper reached an agreement with Roberto Martínez to be relieved of international duties. Hazard could return after the Denmark game.
Thiabut Courtois is back in Madrid, having returned to Spain after having spent the week on international duty with Belgium. Diario AS understands that it was a prearranged agreement with national team coach Roberto Martínez for the goalkeeper to be released so that he could continue his pre-season preparations with Real Madrid. For that reason, the coach had called up four goalkeepers in his initial list.
Courtois did not embark the plane carrying the rest of the Belgium squad to Denmark, where on Saturday they will play their first game in the Nations League. The madridista flew back to Spain after spending three days with the national team. It is a practice which Roberto Martínez has used before, he likes to have all of his regular players on camp - even when they are unable to play for diverse reasons. Thibaut will play no part in Belgium's meeting with Denmark, or the game against Island on Tuesday 8 September.
Hazard could also return to Madrid
Courtois' time with the Belgium squad was marred when it was falsely reported that he had tested positive for coronavirus - which angered the player and the Federation. That same evening, he trained as normal with the rest of the squad.
Eden Hazard could be the next player to quit the Belgium camp. The captain hasn't trained with the rest of the squad as he is following a personalised training plan - which was also agreed on before he arrived in Tubize. The idea is that Hazard will continue with his own individual routine and being given some minutes against Denmark before quitting the camp to return to Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician