Messi to stay at Barcelona - TyC
TyC Sports insist that Lionel Messi will see out the final year of his contract at Barcelona and will issue a statement in due course, after his father replied to LaLiga.
Argentinean outlet TyC Sports insist that Lionel Messi will see out the final year of his contract at Barcelona and will issue a statement in due course to confirm his decision. Those claims were backed up by Sphera Sports earlier on Friday, who add that Messi has already recorded a message, presumably a video recording, to confirm that he is staying on at Camp Nou.
Messi's father goes on the attack
TyC Sports' claims came shortly after the publication of a strongly-worded letter by Messi's father Jorge addressed to LaLiga president Javier Tebas in which he accused the Spanish league of misreading and misunderstanding the small print in the player's contract.
According to LaLiga, Messi's contract with Barcelona and a 700 million euro release clause remain valid. The Messi camp however, disagree and say that the release clause became null and void on 10 June - after the domestic league was due to finish. The league campaign had to be rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic and was concluded after that deadline over a month later on 19 July .
Reports in Argentina suggest that Jorge Messi's letter to LaLiga was just a face-saving exercise as a well as a prelude to another impending statement from Messi to be announced in the next few hours to state his intention of staying at Barcelona.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live