Phil Foden toasts England debut with win over Iceland
Gareth Southgate handed Phil Foden his first senior call-up last month and the Manchester City player played 67 minutes from the start in Reykjavik.
Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden made his England debut in this evening's Nations League match against Iceland.
The 20-year-old enjoyed a breakthrough campaign at City last season, featuring with increasing frequency in Pep Guardiola's first team. He made 38 appearances in all competitions, scoring eight times – a haul that included five of his six career strikes in the Premier League.
Foden gains first cap for England
Gareth Southgate called up Foden, who has 15 England Under-21 caps and was a star performer during the Three Lions' U-20 World Cup triumph in 2017 and City youngster featured in the starting line-up, on the left of a midfield three anchored by West Ham's Declan Rice, with Southampton's James Ward-Prowse another surprise inclusion. Foden completed 67 minutes of the match before being substituted, replaced by Danny Ings.
Kieran Trippier moved over to left-back, with Southgate having opted against selecting a specialist in his squad. The Nations League Group A2 encounter was the first meeting between the two countries since Iceland stunned England with a 2-1 upset win in the last-16 phase of Euro 2016.
I’ve been dreaming of this day ever since I was little kid. It was an honour to represent my country tonight and I can’t wait to push on and play more!! pic.twitter.com/P8xq70IVEs— Phil Foden (@PhilFoden) September 5, 2020
Kyle Walker sent off, Sterling seals win from the spot
England, who were reduced to 10 men when Kyle Walker was sent off for a second bookable offence on 69 minutes just scraped a result with Raheem Sterling converting a 90th minute penalty to give them a 0-1 win in Reykjavik.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?