Messi back in the Camp Nou fold after failed attempt to leave
Lionel Messi was reportedly the first player to arrive for training on Monday evening as he resumed his career with Barcelona after a week of speculation.
Lionel Messi took part in Barcelona training on Monday, his first session since his attempt to leave the club failed. The Argentina star confirmed last Friday that he will be staying at Camp Nou after being unable to engineer a move away.
Messi believed he could use a clause in his contract to leave for free, but Barca and LaLiga disputed that claim and insisted his deal could only be terminated should his €700million release clause be paid.
The 33-year-old accused Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu of going back on his promise to allow him to leave if he wished, but he stressed he would be fully committed to the club for 2020-21.
Messi, who was pictured modelling Barça's new third kit early on Monday, was later seen arriving at the club's training ground.
Messi turns up in timely fashion
According to reports, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner was the first player seen in Sant Joan Despi, having arrived an hour and a half before training was due to start.
Barça later tweeted a picture of Messi taking part in a training session under new coach Ronald Koeman for the first time.
The Catalan giants are due to begin their new LaLiga campaign against Villarreal later this month.
Te recomendamos en English
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY International Women's Day: meaning, origin and why it's celebrated today
- FOOTBALL Mourinho: Bale over psychological scars of past injuries
- IWD2021 What is the International Women’s Day 2021 theme?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Giannis wasn't focused on perfect performance after MVP display inspires Team LeBron
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 LeBron 'in awe' of Antetokounmpo and Curry
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: who gets the payment, how much, who qualifies, IRS tax | Live