Juventus: Pirlo calls for new striker despite Cristiano Ronaldo goals
Juventus have been linked with numerous strikers in recent weeks and Andrea Pirlo admitted a new number nine is needed as soon as possible.
Juventus head coach Andrea Pirlo has stressed the importance of signing a striker ahead of the new Serie A campaign with Gonzalo Higuaín nearing the exit door. The reigning Italian champions are without a recognised number nine for the start of 2020-21 as the Argentinean closes in on a switch to Inter Miami.
A move for Barcelona ace Luis Suárez is reported to have broken down, while Chelsea's Olivier Giroud this week rubbished rumours he is close to signing.
Edin Dzeko has also been linked but was part of Roma's starting line-up for Saturday's friendly win over Cagliari.
With the window open for another three weeks, Pirlo admits the troublesome position needs to be filled.
Pirlo: "There will be time" to find a striker
"I need the striker as soon as possible," he told Sky Sport Italia. "But the market is long. There will be time to be able to work until October 4."
Juventus kicked off their shortened pre-season programme with a 5-0 win over Novara on Saturday, with Cristiano Ronaldo opening the scoring against the Serie C side.
Ronaldo also struck twice in Portugal's 2-0 win over Sweden on September 8 after recovering from a toe injury and Pirlo is happy with the forward's fitness.
"Cristiano is fine," Pirlo said. "He proved it with Portugal and also today."
Aaron Ramsey, Marko Pjaca and a brace by Manolo Portanova gave Juve a commanding win in their friendly, which Pirlo used to experiment with various formations.
"In the first half, we played with four at the back, which becomes three in the different phases," said Pirlo, who was appointed as Maurizio Sarri's successor in August.
"In the second half, we stayed with three, preparing different solutions."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: what’s in the GOP bill to be voted on this week?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check What have Biden and Trump said about second stimulus check?
- Premier League Man Utd and Liverpool in European Premier League talks - report
- Inter Milan Conte: Inter better prepared to contend in Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ramos ruled out of Real Madrid's Champions League opener