Robben's Eredivisie comeback ends early as Groningen fall to PSV
Arjen Robben made a long-awaited comeback to the Eredivisie on Sunday, yet he lasted just 30 minutes before succumbing to injury.
Arjen Robben lasted just 30 minutes on his Eredivisie comeback as Groningen went down 3-1 to PSV.
Robben – making his first appearance in the Dutch top flight in over 16 years – was named in Groningen's starting XI for Sunday's clash against another of his former sides.
The ex-Real Madrid and Chelsea winger announced his retirement after leaving Bayern Munich in 2019, but signed with his boyhood club for the 2020-21 season.
However, the 36-year-old was on the pitch for half-an-hour before he trudged off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.
PSV took the lead four minutes later – Cody Gakpo putting the visitors ahead with a crisp finish.
Rust! Groningen kijkt tegen een achterstand aan door een goal van Gakpo, gemaakt na 34 minuten.— FC Groningen (@fcgroningen) September 13, 2020
Arjen Robben moest het veld na een half uur spelen geblesseerd verlaten en is vervangen door Suslov.
Tomas Suslov equalised shortly after the break, yet Donyell Malen, who later missed a penalty, restored the advantage before Gakpo rounded off the win for PSV.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check today: when to expect, Biden relief plan and IRS payment | Live updates
- NBA Kobe Bryant death anniversary: what tributes and memories have been shared?
- NBA Kobe Bryant death anniversary: what's known about the helicopter crash?
- REAL MADRID Sales and loan deals see Madrid generate €102M for Mbappé
- FOOTBALL 'Daniel Agger' arrested in Moscow protests
- SERIE A Ibrahimovic close to goals milestone ahead of Milan derby