Robben's Eredivisie comeback ends early as Groningen fall to PSV
Arjen Robben made a long-awaited comeback to the Eredivisie on Sunday, yet he lasted just 30 minutes before succumbing to injury.
Arjen Robben lasted just 30 minutes on his Eredivisie comeback as Groningen went down 3-1 to PSV.
Robben – making his first appearance in the Dutch top flight in over 16 years – was named in Groningen's starting XI for Sunday's clash against another of his former sides.
The ex-Real Madrid and Chelsea winger announced his retirement after leaving Bayern Munich in 2019, but signed with his boyhood club for the 2020-21 season.
However, the 36-year-old was on the pitch for half-an-hour before he trudged off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.
PSV took the lead four minutes later – Cody Gakpo putting the visitors ahead with a crisp finish.
Rust! Groningen kijkt tegen een achterstand aan door een goal van Gakpo, gemaakt na 34 minuten.— FC Groningen (@fcgroningen) September 13, 2020
Arjen Robben moest het veld na een half uur spelen geblesseerd verlaten en is vervangen door Suslov.
Tomas Suslov equalised shortly after the break, yet Donyell Malen, who later missed a penalty, restored the advantage before Gakpo rounded off the win for PSV.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?