Lampard on Werner and Pulisic fitness ahead of Liverpool clash
Timo Werner suffered a dead leg, but Frank Lampard is hopeful the Chelsea forward will be fit to face Liverpool.
Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard hopes Timo Werner is fit to face Liverpool after suffering a dead leg, while Christian Pulisic has had a setback.
Werner should be firing for Liverpool
Werner won a penalty on his Chelsea debut as Lampard's side recorded a 3-1 win over Brighton and Hove Albion in the Premier League on Monday.
While the forward played 90 minutes, Lampard confirmed Werner had suffered a dead leg, although he expects the Germany international to be ready to face Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
"Timo took the knock when he won the penalty," he told reporters.
"It's more of a dead leg we hope so I wouldn't think too much in terms of next week there.
"But I would like to think if it's a dead leg we've got a bit of time for him to get back and right and he obviously finished the game from having that earlyish kind of knock."
While Leandro Trossard equalised early in the second half for Brighton to cancel out Jorginho's penalty, Reece James' stunner and Kurt Zouma's deflected strike sealed three points for Chelsea.
Chelsea were without Pulisic for the trip after he suffered a hamstring injury in the FA Cup final loss to Arsenal on August 1.
Lampard confirmed the United States international had a setback as he pushed to get fit for the clash with Brighton.
"Christian was training with us last week, but he had a little bit of discomfort a couple of days ago where he was trying to train with us and being in contention for today, it would've been a big ask for today," he said.
"But he's had to take a few steps back so we'll have to see so that's one I don't have big news on at the minute. We'll see."
Te recomendamos en English
- Trump vs Biden USA election 2020 presidential debate Trump vs Biden: time, TV and how to watch live online
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US Election 2020 US Election 2020: when are the presidential debates and how many will there be?
- US $300 unemployment benefits: will there be a new round of payments in October?
- NFL Why are the Raiders being investigated by the NFL?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: US Covid-19 relief package update