Jorge Mendes strikes it rich in Covid crisis transfer market
Portuguese sports daily 'A Bola' claims the agent has made over 20 million euro in the current transfer market affected by the ongoing pandemic.
Jorge Mendes is one of the highest profile agents in world football with his Gestifute agency dominating the Portuguese market with a series of high number players and managers on his portfolio (Cristiano Ronaldo, Jose Mourinho, James Rodriguez, David de Gea...).
Mendes' latest deals have included moves for the likes of Rubén Dias, Nicolas Otamendi, Fabio Silva and Nelson Semedo with the Portuguese sports daily claiming that the 'super-agent' has collected approximately 20 million euro in the current transfer window with a rough calculation based on the FIFA stipulated 10% commission for the middle man.
Digging deeper, A Bola claim that Mendes earned approximately 6.8 million euro for the Ruben Dias deal with a further 1.5 in moving Otamendi to Benfica. He also collected three and four million euro respectively for the arrival of Semedo and Fabio Silva to Wolves with Semedo moving from Barça for 30M€ and emerging talent Silva leaving FC Porto with 40 million euro securing his signature. Mendes also collected a 4.4 million euro commission for the Diogo Jota Wolves to Liverpool transfer.
🚨 Onda Cero | Anil Murthy plans to travel to Portugal to meet Jorge Mendes about possible transfers pic.twitter.com/9jIyH1lwmd— Valenciacf in English 🦇💯 (@ValenciacfAR_En) September 22, 2020
With just over a week left in the current transfer window (extended due to the Covid-19 pandemic), more deals are feasible with the Jorge Mendes agency currently benefiting from the summer's transfer moves.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?