Neymar and Álvaro escape sanctions for alleged racism
Paris Saint-Germain Neymar and Marseille defender Álvaro have both avoided punishment for alledged racist abuse during Le Classique.
Neymar and Álvaro will not be punished for alleged racist comments made during the Ligue 1 match between Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille.
No punishment for Neymar and Álvaro
The pair clashed during an ill-tempered Classique on 13 September, with Neymar ultimately seeing red late on, along with four other players, after an on-pitch fracas.
As he was storming off the pitch, Neymar, who had hit the Marseille centre-back on the head, appeared to suggest he had been racially abused by Álvaro.
Marseille coach Andre Villas-Boas doubted the claims, though insisted there would be repercussions if any abuse had occurred.
Subsequently, it has also been reported – by Spanish outlet Cadena SER – that Neymar racially abused Hiroki Sakai.
However, after an investigation into the incident, the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has cleared both Neymar and Álvaro, due to insufficient evidence.
An LFP statement read: "After examining the case, hearing the players and representatives of the clubs, the commission notes that it does not have sufficient convincing evidence to allow it to establish the materiality of the facts of statements of a discriminatory nature by Álvaro against Neymar during the meeting, nor against Neymar towards Álvaro."
Neymar served a two-match suspension for his red card, while Angel Di Maria is currently serving a four-match ban for spitting at Álvaro.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night