Donald Trump and wife Melania test positive for Covid-19
US President Donald Trump has announced that he and his wife, Melania, have tested positive for the coronavirus.
United States President Donald Trump has announced that he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for Covid-19 and will immediately quarantine and begin the "recovery process."
"We will get through this," Trump tweeted on Friday.
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
Trumps' positive test comes after top aide contracts coronavirus
Trump's positive test follows news that Hope Hicks, a top adviser and trusted aide, had tested positive for the coronavirus.
Hicks travels regularly with the president on Air Force One and, along with other senior aides, accompanied him to Ohio for the presidential debate on Tuesday and to Minnesota for a campaign event on Wednesday.
Trump, who is tested regularly for the virus that causes Covid-19, has kept up a rigorous travel schedule across the country in recent weeks, holding rallies with thousands of people in the run-up to the November 3 election, despite warnings from public health professionals against having events with large crowds.
Over 200,000 dead from Covid-19 in US
Trump has come under sharp criticism for his response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 200,000 people in the US alone. The president has touted his management of the crisis.
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
You can follow live, US-focused coverage of the Covid-19 crisis, including reactions to the news that Donald and Melania Trump have tested positive, by reading our dedicated rolling feed.
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery