Spain and Portugal confirm joint bid for 2030 World Cup
On the day they played each other in a friendly, Spain and Portugal have announced a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup.
Spain and Portugal have confirmed their commitment to putting forward a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup.
The two countries announced in December they would investigate staging the global competition, ruling Morocco - previously said to be involved - out of a three-nation proposal.
Ahead of Wednesday's friendly between the sides in Lisbon, which finished in a goalless draw, the Spanish and Portuguese federations ratified an agreement to share the event.
"This agreement means an important step for this common project of federations, but also for the countries," RFEF president Luis Rubiales said in a statement.
🗣️ Luis Rubiales, presidente de la RFEF: "Pocas cosas pueden generar más ilusión que la oportunidad de organizar un Mundial y no se nos ocurre un mejor compañero que Portugal".— RFEF (@rfef) October 7, 2020
ℹ️ https://t.co/AsDy2joXsJ pic.twitter.com/UDndOtqFAp
"Soccer, sport, is a magnificent tool to inject strength and will to overcome in these moments of great difficulty.
"Few things can be more exciting than the opportunity to organise a World Cup and we cannot think of a better partner than Portugal. We go hand in hand with the Portuguese Federation."
Qatar are the next hosts of the tournament in 2022, while Canada, United States and Mexico are set to stage it four years later.
A decision on where the 2030 World Cup will be held is due to be made by FIFA in 2024, with the bidding process starting in 2022.
Morocco are also in the running, as are Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile in a four-way bid.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Doctors warn CDC to advise about vaccine side effects
- coronavirus Stimulus checks Second stimulus check: which proposals have been unsuccessfully discussed?
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 on Black Friday: restocks times & deals at GameStop, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020 opening hours and best deals in Burlington, Zara, North Face & Under Armour
- US NEWS Why has Trump pardoned Michael Flynn?
- US News Black Friday 2020 opening hours & best deals in Kohls, Best Buy, Wayfair & TJ Maxx