Giroud has Henry record in his sights after overtaking Platini for France goals
Olivier Giroud is not certain he will catch Thierry Henry at the top of France's goalscoring standings - but he sees no reason not to try.
Olivier Giroud has half an eye on catching Thierry Henry at the top of France's all-time leading scorer list after grabbing two goals on his 100th international appearance.
The Chelsea striker got his 41st and 42nd goals for Les Bleus in Wednesday's 7-1 thrashing of Ukraine in a friendly match at Stade de France.
Giroud has surpassed Michel Platini on the list and is now behind only former Arsenal and Barcelona star Henry, who scored 51 in 123 games.
Giroud's tally is all-the-more impressive given he has often been used by coach Didier Deschamps as a target man entrusted with bringing deeper forwards such as Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe into play.
Indeed, the 34-year-old played in all seven of France's games at the 2018 World Cup, including their 4-2 win over Croatia in the final, without once getting on the scoresheet.
Although he is not focusing too much on catching Henry, he suggested setting a new national record could be within his reach.
"Obviously, I'm hugely proud," Giroud, who was captain for the Ukraine match, told TF1. "It's a great honour [to reach 100 caps] and I'm very happy that it happened like this.
"It was always going to be emotional. It's a friendly match but it's still my hundredth, so I'm very happy for me and for the team as well. We showed a lot of good things.
"Now I keep looking forwards, without setting any limits. I hope to continue like this.
"I think you have to set goals. It's now maybe a little early to say [if I will break the record]. We'll see when I'm maybe on 46 or 47 goals!"
France face Portugal in the Nations League on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?