Barcelona: Depay expecting January interest after failed Camp Nou move
A move to Barcelona may not transpired this month, but Memphis Depay expects further interest in his signature when the winter transfer window opens.
Memphis Depay expects clubs to come calling in January after seeing a move to Barcelona scuppered in the last transfer window. The Olympique Lyon striker appeared set to reunite with his former Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman at Camp Nou and personal terms had already been agreed. However, a deal between the two teams could not be struck, with Depay admitting "certain rules" prevented him from joining Barcelona.
Depay's contract runs out in June 2021
The 26-year-old's contract expires at the end of next season, though, and he believes that makes him an intriguing prospect for potential buyers once the window reopens. "I’m 26 and my transfer will cost next to nothing," he told BN DeStem. "So we can expect that clubs will show an interest. It'll be January soon. We'll have to see how things are going. Not that I will definitely be leaving, but the possibility of clubs showing up soon is probably greater."
It is possible that Barça will renew their interest given Koeman was unsuccessful in trying to bring in a striker to replace Luis Suárez following his departure for Atlético Madrid. Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has previously suggested that Depay will do everything possible to try and force through a move to Barcelona in the New Year.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona's squad redesign needs to start taking shape now
- International football Zlatan facing possible FIFA ban over links to Malta betting firm
- Manchester United Solskjaer suggests Old Trafford banners to blame for home form
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Pfizer, Moderna and J&J/Janssen: who can get each, side effects, doses
- US Policing Why were no charges brought against the police officer who shot Jacob Blake?
- VACCINE NEWS What is a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis? Blood clot symptons and causes