JUVENTUS

"Ronaldo didn't respect protocol" after flying back to Italy with coronavirus

Italy's sports minister has claimed that Cristiano Ronaldo broke protocol by flying back to Italy after his coronavirus diagnosis.

Italy's sports minister has criticised Cristiano Ronaldo for breaking protocol after the Juventus striker flew back to Italy following his positive coronavirus test result earlier this week while on international duty with Portugal.

On Tuesday, it was confirmed that the 35-year-old striker had tested positive for covid-19 and was subsequently dismissed from Portugal’s training camp after he had competed against Spain and France last week.

On Wednesday the former Real Madrid star flew back to Turin on an ambulance plane to complete his quarantine period in Italy. Upon his arrival in Turin airport, an ambulance took him to his home, allowing isolation protocols to be adhered while he was in transit.

However, according to the Italian Minister of Sport Vincenzo Spadafora, Ronaldo broke protocol by leaving Portugal in the first place, suggesting the Madeira-born forward had not been given permission by health authorities.

"I believe he didn’t respect the protocol coming and going from Portugal, if there were no specific authorisation from the health authorities,” Spadafora told Radio Uno.

Ronaldo defended in Italy

However, Roberto Testi, director of ASL of Turin, has defended Ronaldo, saying: "The regulations provide for a procedure like the one that Cristiano took to Italy. Obviously, he will be at home for at least ten days and will not be able to train.”

Meanwhile, speaking after the general meeting of club shareholders, Juventus president, Andrea Agnelli, also backed his player.

"He (Spadafora) should call the ministry of health so that they can explain to him what norms would have been violated. I am a sporting director and I respect the federal protocols,” said Agnelli.

“When the players return home they are free citizens, and if the national teams call on them, they want to respond.”