Premier League: Everton dealt James Rodríguez injury blow
Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that James will sit out this weekend's clash with Southampton after suffering an injury against Liverpool.
Thursday: Premier League pace-setters Everton have been dealt a blow after manager Carlo Ancelotti confirmed that James Rodríguez is set to miss Sunday’s top-flight clash with Southampton through injury.
Derby injury rules James out of Everton's Saints clash
Summer signing James picked up the issue early in Everton’s 2-2 draw with city rivals Liverpool last weekend - a stalemate that ended the Toffees' 100% start to the Premier League season.
"Unfortunately, James had a problem during the game," Ancelotti said on Thursday. “He had a mistimed tackle with Virgil van Dijk at the beginning of the game and I think he will not be available for the game against Southampton."
Everton will also be without captain Seamus Coleman at St Mary’s, Ancelotti telling reporters that the right-back faces "two or three weeks" out.
Impressive James to fore for Premier League leaders
James, 29, has shone for Everton since joining from Real Madrid in the close season, scoring three goals and supplying three assists in his first five Premier League appearances to help his new side to the top of the table.
Van Dijk faces long-term absence with ligament injury
Van Dijk himself suffered an injury in Saturday’s derby at Goodison Park, with Liverpool revealing the following day that the Dutchman damaged knee ligaments in a challenge with Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford.
Although the Reds have not offered a timeline for Van Dijk's return, he is expected to miss most, if not all, of the rest of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- THE SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: fan groups call out club greed
- OSCARS 2021 What 2021 Oscar Nominees are available on what streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video)?
- SUPER LEAGUE Super League? But what happens with the Champions League?
- NBA Nets to determine severity of Durant injury after defeat to Heat
- Gun violence Texas shooting: who is the suspect identified by the police?