Real Madrid edge ahead of Barcelona in historical rivalry
Over recent years, Barcelona have equaled and even surpassed Real Madrid in number of victories in Clásicos across all competitions but find themselves behind.
The first Clásico of the 2020/21 LaLiga between Barcelona and Real Madrid at Camp Nou went the way of the visitors in a very entertaining affair. It was the 245th match that the two Spanish giants had played against each other, with both teams fighting for the top spot of the domestic tournament.
In their previous meeting Los Blancos beat the Catalan side back in March, in a season that ended up with Real Madrid winning the championship.
The Clásicos: the head to head
As well as the 254 competitive games, Barça and Madrid have met another 34 times in friendlies and other exhibition matches.
Their overall head-to-head record has been extremely tight. Real's latest win bputs them one ahead of Barça with 97 wins vs 96.
Games played: 182
Madrid wins: 74
Barça wins: 72
Copa del Rey
Games played: 36
Madrid wins: 12
Barça wins: 16
Games played: 8
Madrid wins: 3
Barça wins: 2
Other competitions (Including the Copa de la Liga and Supercopa de España)
Games played: 20
Madrid wins: 8
Barça wins: 6
Games played: 245
Madrid wins: 97
Barça wins: 96
The Guardiola era, a ‘Real’ boost for Barça
Madrid had a notable advantage over Barcelona at the beginning of the 2000s, but the arrival of Pep Guardiola to the Barcelona bench turned the situation around.
In La Liga, Barça have won 13 of the Clasicos played since Guardiola's appointment, drawing four and losing four. They also won the 2010-11 Champions League semi-final, (0-2 at Santiago Bernabéu, 1-1 at Camp Nou).
Barcelona, Real Madrid... and the trophies
The debate over which is the most decorated club in Spanish football continues and will probably remain in the conversation for a long time.
Real Madrid have a total of 119 trophy wins over their history in all competitions (includes regional, national, continental and global), while Barcelona have gathered 129 titles.
Los Merengues dominate in main competitions, with 34 Spanish leagues and 11 European Cups; Barcelona have a higher number of total trophies.
- Real Madrid (23): 18 Championships of Madrid and 5 Mancomunado Trophies.
- Barcelona (33): 23 Catalonian Championships and 10 Catalonian Cups (8 Cups and 2 Super Cups).
- Real Madrid (65): 34 leagues, 19 Cups, 11 Spanish Super Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 Copa Eva Duarte.
- Barcelona (74): 26 leagues, 30 Cups, 12 Spanish Super Cups, 2 League Cups and 1 Copa Eva Duarte.
- Real Madrid (21): 13 European Cups (6 European Cups and 7 Champions Leagues), 2 UEFA Cups (forerunner of the Europa League), 4 European Super Cups and 2 Latin Cups.
- Barcelona (19): 5 European Cups (1 European Cup and 4 Champions Leagues), 4 Cup Winners' Cups, 5 European Super Cups, 3 Fairs Cups (forerunner of the UEFA Cup), and 2 Latin Cups (which laid the ground for the European Cup).
- Real Madrid (10): 4 Club World Cups, 1 Ibero-American Cup, 3 Intercontinental Cups and 2 Small World Cups.
- Barcelona (3): 3 Club World Cups.
Te recomendamos en English
- FIFA No harm, no foul between Mexico and Honduras after the 90 minutes.
- COPA AMERICA Brazil vs Venezuela: covid-19 chaos as La Vinotinto face up to tall task
- US News Unemployment benefits: How many fraudulent claims were made and how much money was stolen?
- E3 2021 PC Gaming Show at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Square Enix conference at E3 2021: times, stream and how to watch
- E3 2021 Microsoft Xbox + Bethesda conference at E3 2021: times, stream online and how to watch