Club América secure second place after defeating Atlas
Club América hosted Atlas on matchday 15 of the 2020 Guardianes tournament at the Azteca stadium. Jorge Sánchez's winner handed the home team three points.
A solitary goal from Jorge Sánchez was enough for Club América to beat Atlas on matchday 15 of the 2020 Guardianes tournament at the Azteca stadium. With this victory, the home team secures second place with 28 points and two games of the regular season left to play.
Club América were made to suffer on Saturday night by one of the teams with the poorest record in the tournament. Atlas goalkeeper Camilo Vargas was kept busy and forced to save nine efforts on goal which América had during the 90 minutes.
From kick-off, Atlas started pressuring América and in the second minute, Lorenzo Reyes had an opportunity that was blocked by Oscar Jiménez. Atlas' early pressure didn’t last long however and the home team responded on seven minutes with a great shot from Leo Suárez that was blocked by Vargas.
América were superior in the first 45 minutes, but they were unable to add to the scoreboard. The second half started with the home team being more offensive and with Atlas awaiting for the counter attack. Henry Martín had an opportunity in the 49th minute, but his header was too weak and easily controlled by Vargas.
Atlas would have been content with a point but América had other ideas. In the 87th minute, Leo Suárez crossed for right-back Jorge Sánchez to head in the winner.
With this goal... LAS ÁGUILAS WIN! pic.twitter.com/l8JGIUzj3c— Club América EN (@ClubAmerica_EN) October 25, 2020
Club América remain in second position with two games left of the 2020 Guardianes tournament. Next they will host Tigres UANL before ending by visiting Juárez.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles out, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: results & who won gymnastics team final
- Tokyo Olympics: Biles 'dealing with things internally' after shock withdrawal
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SURFING Tokyo Olympics 2021: USA's Carissa Moore wins surfing gold
- OLYMPIC GAMES Team USA hopeful Biles will recover to compete in Tokyo