Jorge Jesus was a better coach than José Mourinho - Julio César
He may have won a treble under José Mourinho at Inter, but Julio César preferred playing for Jorge Jesus at Benfica.
José Mourinho provided Julio Cesar with the high point of his career but the former goalkeeper ranks Jorge Jesus as the best coach he played for. Julio César, who won 87 caps for Brazil between 2004 and 2014, spent seven years at Inter Milan and was a key member of Mourinho's treble-winning side in 2009-10.
Silverware at Benfica
The keeper joined up with Jesus at Benfica for the 2014-15 season and won a Primeira Liga and Taca da Liga double in Lisbon. Julio César was thoroughly impressed by Jesus' tactical acumen, which he feels sets him apart from any other coach he worked under.
"I really like his work. He is a coach who really has something extra. But not to belittle others, obviously," Julio César said on Caioba Game Show. "Mourinho was the culmination of my career. It was a very successful time with him at Inter. But between Mourinho and Jesus, I prefer Jesus. Tactically, he is absurd. He's a guy who breathes it 24 hours a day. He has a phrase: 'Everyone plays ball; now, understand the game few understand.' I remember when I arrived at Benfica, in the first season, I learned a lot. Thing I would never have imagined, reaching the end of my career, at the age of 34, several titles won and a nice history in football. In terms of management, he is a guy who knows a lot."
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Eriksen discharged from hospital following heart surgery
- REAL MADRID Ramos' former agent: "You don't mess around with Real Madrid..."
- OLYMPIC GAMES When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?
- US NEWS What states do not recognize Juneteenth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Recent research indicates how the stimulus aid was spent and how it helped families
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS California unemployment benefits: is job hunting proof required to apply for aid?