CAF Champions League: Egyptian sports minister says Cairo to host final
Cairo International Stadium has finally been confirmed as the venue for the Champions League final, which was previously set to be played at Borg El Arab Stadium.
Egypt's sports minister, Ashraf Sobhi, says Cairo International Stadium has been chosen as the venue for the CAF Champions League final between Egyptian heavyweights Al-Ahly and Zamalek, which is set to be held on 27 November.
Bad weather expected at Borg El Arab Stadium
CAF (the Confederation of African Football) had previously declared that the game would be played at Borg El Arab Stadium in Alexandria, after the Egyptian Football Federation moved the encounter from Cairo in response to a request from security authorities in Egypt.
However, Borg El Arab Stadium has been ruled out due to meteorological reports suggesting that Alexandria might be suffering from heavy showers and unstable weather at the time of the game.
Sobhi: "The final will be held in Cairo"
Sobhi announced in a press conference on Tuesday that Cairo International Stadium is ready to host the showpiece match, pointing out that regular maintenance of the arena can be put off until after the tournament's decider.
"The final will be held in Cairo. It's a huge event and we will display it in the best manner possible," he told reporters.
Over the past few days, at least three stadiums were nominated to host the highly-anticipated event, with Ismailia Stadium also an option after the club Ismaily offered their home ground for the fixture.
Al-Ahly and Zamalek will meet in the final for the first time in the history of the competition, with the Red Devils looking for their ninth title and the White Knights hoping they can be crowned African champions for the sixth time.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?